Striped Trousers

 © Trustees of the British Museum 
I have been collecting electronic images of Royal Navy Sailors (officers & ratings) from the "Late Wars with France"(1793-1815). Many of these images are from public collections, but a few are held privately. 

After looking at a great many of these images it became apparent that the dominant color choice for the Royal Navy sailor should not be the overabundance of white/off-white/cream colored trousers that we see at events, but our first choice should be striped. Here is how the preliminary data on trouser colors breaks down: 

Red Striped                                26%
Blue                                             26%
white/off white/cream            21%
Tan                                              13%
Blue Striped                                9%
Striped (b&w image)                 1%
Brown                                           1%
Green Striped                              1%
                                                     98%

In roughly 36% of the images, I examined sailors were wearing striped trousers. More significant than I had previously thought. 

Now I knew there was a pair of trousers at the Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich dating from ca. 1810.


Rantings Trousers ca. 1810. National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London. 
Object ID# UNI0092
http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/71306.html

But finding a good striped, trouser-weight fabric is right up there with finding a good checked fabric for shirts. Its out there, but requires a bit of a hunt.

A friend had offered me some striped fabric (for $4) which I nearly turned it down, because I didn't think it looked right. But for $4 I could make hat bags or something, right?

The authors reproductions. Hemming cuffs is right up there with button holes. Or maybe one of my legs is short then the other?
It was laid aside and quickly forgotten...until I needed a project. I frequently host "Make & Mend" weekends at my home and friends arrive Friday evening and depart Sunday morning. On one such weekend, I was casting about for something to work on when I spotted the fabric and I reluctantly thought "Welllll, I guess I ought to try and make those striped trousers." 

I already had on-hand and intended to use the Man's Trousers High-Waisted c. 1790-1810  pattern from Kannik's Korner. 

In addition I got out various reference works, including my copy of "Dressed to Kill", which I knew had a pair of sailor's trousers and I was interested to see any details on their construction. To my surprised the fabric turns out to be a near match of the originals. So much for the trained eye. Maybe the Hollywood eye? 

So it just goes to show that an old sea dog can still learn a thing or two.  It is always good to review what you think you know...

The author wearing his reproductions on the shores of Georgian Bay, ONT